The Department of Physical Planning; formerly the Department of Town and Country Planning and the Departments of Parks and Gardens was merged and charged with the following functions
- Advises the Assembly and the private sector on sound physical development programs
- Formulates goals and standards relating to the use and development of land
- Assists in the monitoring and evaluation of infrastructural development in the MMDAs.
- Design plans and proposals to help in the development of urban and rural settlements
- Assists awareness creation on human settlement and spatial development policies
- Advise the District Assembly on national policies on physical planning, land use and development.
- Coordinate activities and projects of departments and other agencies including non-governmental organizations to ensure compliance with planning standards
- Assist in preparations of physical plans as a guide for the formulation of development policies, and decisions and design projects within the Assembly.
- Advise on setting out approved plans for future development of land at the district level.
- Advise on the conditions for the construction of public and private buildings and structures and assist to provide the layout for buildings for improved housing layout and settlements.
- Ensure the prohibition of the construction of new buildings unless the building plans submitted have been approved by the Assembly
- Advise and facilitate the demolishing of dilapidated buildings and recovery of incurred costs in connection with the demolishing.
- Advice the Assembly on the siting of billboards, and masts and ensure compliance with the decisions of the Assembly
- Advice on the acquisition of land property in the public interest, and undertaking street naming, numbering of houses, and related issues
- Reviews human settlement development guidelines and policies periodically; and
- Maintains and sustains landscape beautification of built-up and natural environments as well as state prestige projects with good management programs
- Propagates and cultivates horticultural products for sale to the general public
- Develops public parks for ecotourism and recreation
Head of Physical Planning Dept