District Profile


The Afadzato District is one of the 46 administrative districts created in 2012 with its capital at Ve-Golokuati, about 58km from Ho, 20km from Hohoe, and 200km from Accra. The District was carved out of Hohoe Municipality and legally backed and governed by two main Acts namely; the Local Government Act, Act 936 of 2016, and PNDCL 327.

The District was established by Legislative Instrument 2079 and inaugurated on 28th June 2012. The District shares boundaries with the Republic of Togo to the East and Ho West District on the southeast. The southwest of the District shares a common boundary with South Dayi District; while the northern section is Hohoe Municipal and the northwest is Kpando Municipal and North Dayi District. The total land area of the District is 553.0 square Kilometres about 3.06 % total land size of the Volta Region. Moreover, the location of the district has the potential to boost both local and foreign trade.


The Afadzato South Assembly has the vision to become the epitome of sustainable development and a first-class District Assembly in Ghana. This vision plays a significant role in the planning and administrative activities of the district.


The Afadzato South District Assembly exists to improve both the social and economic life of her people through efficient and effective resource mobilization, maintaining a strong agricultural base for further industrial development, being a leading tourist center in Ghana, and preserving the cultural heritage of her people and the Region at large.

District Population

The total population of the district per the 2010 Population and Housing Census is 95,030 with males counting 46,272 constituting 48.7 percent whilst females counting 48,758 representing 51.3 percent.

The Projected Population as of 2019 is 144,000 (at a 2.5% growth rate)

The population of the district constitutes 4.5 percent of the regional population. The district has more of its people in the rural areas (81.3%) compared to those in the urban areas (18.7%). The projected population of the district for 2014 using the regional inter-censual growth rate of 2.5 is 104,894. There are 51,075 males constituting 48.7 percent whilst females (53,819) form the remaining 51.3 percent.

The Afadzato South District operates with six Sub-districts (Area Councils) namely Have/Nyagbo, Logba-Tafi, Weto, Leklebi, Ve, and Liati Area Councils. Population distribution in the Sub-Districts (Area Councils) is as shown in the table below.

Constituency: AFADZATO SOUTH
Land size: 553.0 km2
Population: 95,030 (2010 PHC);
The projected Population as of 2019 is 144,000 (at a 2.5% growth rate)

Religious Statistics
Christianity – 94.2%
Islam – 1.5%
Traditional – 1.7%
Others – 2.7%